View Single Post
Old 30th October 2018, 06:05 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I obtained one of these swords in 1998 which carried then the unfortunate moniker 'Berber sabre'. In those days these were virtually unknown in the collecting community, although they are seen in "Les Armes Blanches du Monde Islamique" by Alain Jacob (1985). These were included in the 'Hispano-Moresque' chapter. This reference has always been notably absent in the 'community' references, though obtainable if properly sought.

I was told it was a 'Berber' sword from the 'Rif' which of course led to a course of research that was to carry for many years. After a time more of these began to appear in catalogues and auctions, I think more to heightened awareness than sudden discovery in some long lost cache.

As has been noted, research revealed these were actually more a 'machete' from Central America and other regions of the 'Spanish Main' which included Cuba, the Dominican Republic and other Spanish colonial regions with tropical context. While these are with a wide variation of blades (included some with the familiar 'Spanish Motto') and at least one had the motto 'para los Valientes Dominicanos'...…..many seem to have had old British blades.

The one I have I matched its blade to a M1796 British light cavalry sabre blade, and it was a nearly perfect match. The tips of the blades on these seem to have had the hatchet points reprofiled with a curious point like seen on many kampilans.

While I had already found the Central American connection thanks to Pierce Chamberlain (author of "Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America 1700-1821" , 1972) who was helping with my query and discovered some of these in Spanish-American War context and from Cuban regions as souveniers. ….the work by Juan L. Calvo , "Machetes del Ejercito de Ultramar en uba y Puerto Rico" (2006) confirmed the attribution.

I think one of the foremost authorities on the arms of Morocco was researcher Charles Buttin, who actually lived in Morocco many years in the late 19th c. and his studies and collection were published in 1933. I had the pleasure of knowing personally his great grandson Dominique, and we had many great discussions in his visits. As was brought up, if such a weapon as these sabres were INDIGINOUS to Morocco, they would have appeared in his well known works on their weapons. There are NONE in his works.

Here I would point out that 'Berber' tribal structure is far more complex that can be addressed effectively in these kinds of studies, and weapon forms transcend any sort of such classifications or boundaries.

The Tirri book of 2004 is as I have always said, a great book for collectors as te weapons illustrated are mostly well identified, and of the grade typically seen in the venues where they can be obtained. The issue with the book from a scholarly point of view is that sources and citations are absent as a rule, and as a research reference the volume is not particularly effective, NOT that identifications are wrong (other than several instances).

With reference to Tirri's inclusion of these 'Berber' sabres as Moroccan was not entirely wrong. Apparently these did end up there in some of the insurgences of the early 20th century, up to and including the "Rif Wars' of 1920s. While obviously there was no need for machetes in the Sahara!! they did serve as ersatz secondary arms just as many sword forms.

With regard to photos and art as evidence in these kinds of studies on arms.
As a researcher I rely on as much narrative and period account as possible, and look for corroboration in these. All evidence must be evaluated and corroborated and the merits of all must be weighed accordingly.
Actual examples included in study rely heavily on provenance, and in many if not most cases, there are 'stories' attached which are more 'lore' than fact.

Naturally 'photos' of the period may be considered along with other evidence, but these are hardly conclusive, nor necessarily admissable.
Even in the earliest days of photography there was 'doctoring' and altering of the content.

Most early photos were 'staged' and examples I have looked into from the Crimean war for example, the "Valley of Death" purporting to be the site of the ill fated cavalry charge was actually a road littered with cannon balls nowhere near the actual valley.

In the 1860s and later CDV (carte d' visite) cards were posed photos using studio props and subjects in costume and holding weapons to add to the impact of the theme. This is why most Civil War soldiers in portraits seem to always be holding the same 'Bowie knife' and 'Navy' Colt pistol.

Rembrandt as a classic artist used the same concepts in many of his works, and actually had collections of costumes and arms and armor to use as studies as he painted them into his themed work and portraiture.

Returning to the subject matter here.......the SO CALLED Berber sabres....I would highly recommend the search feature under that heading which will reveal the many discussions and illustrations which have brought the true nature and provenance of these swords.

The prevalence of British blades in these as well as the shell guard sabres seen in the photo of the grouping in Barcelona are due to the profound presence of Great Britain in the commerce in the Spanish Main, which often included slaving and in the Civil War period, weapons running in the Caribbean. These surplus blades were clearly well among such commodities.

In the illustrations the top shellguard sabre is of a type with provenance to Brazil, but we know of others into Central American and Mexican Gulf Coast regions. I have one of these with a British blade as per discussion , just as found on my 'Berber' sabre.

The next two are 'Berbers' ….I would note that I have seen numbers of these in collections and groupings from Mexico. Also from these regions and Cuba are the 'guanabacoa' swords with finger stalls in cast brass hilts.

At the bottom is a classic shell guard espada ancha of Mexican frontiers. These are typically found in the north of Mexico and in the American Southwest, which was Mexico until 1846.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote