View Single Post
Old 14th April 2013, 06:26 PM   #4
rickystl

hi donnydogs. As for identification, I agree with Andreas.

There were two Snaphaunce lock patterns used. The English pattern, and the Dutch pattern. Your's is the English pattern. Below, is a photo of the Dutch pattern. They both operate in the same manner.

But you also ask an interesting question as regards what shooters call the LOP (length of pull). I actually own two of these Moroccan guns that I've restored to shooting condition. The LOP of both my guns is 11-12 inches. I have held and measured the LOP on at least two dozen of these guns and find the 11-12 inches to be common. Therefore, I believe this LOP matched the average stature of men in that Region at that time in history. Remember, the average height of a man in that Region may have been only about 5'4" back then (?).
Also, note the end of the butt stocks of these guns, the wood was added in segments. My theory for these segments was that it allowed less wood to be utilized, and the LOP could be adjusted to the individual shooter, by adding or subtracting segments when built - or at a later date. (Does this make sense?)
It appears to me your gun is missing at least one segment. Which, according to measurements of my two guns would add another 2 inches. There might be two reasons for this: 1) The missing segment was damaged, and someone attempted to replace the iron protectors on the existing segment. 2) At sometime in the past, a segment was removed so that the LOP would fit a young man, maybe about 12 years old. There are numerous examples of these Ethno guns that were made for a young child.
But from your photos, it appears that yours is missing one segment.
Anyway, that's my theory. Opposing/additional views invited.
Attached are photos of one of mine showing the Dutch variation of the Snaphaunce lock and the additional wood segments. Hope some of this helps. And thanks for posting. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote