View Single Post
Old 17th March 2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Mikune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Mike,
The knowledge base here on these and all manner of arms is beyond phenomenal, and having participants like you share their acquisitions generate the great discussions helping us all learn together.
There will be a new book about Indian arms coming out soon, by Robert Elgood, and will I understand have a great deal on tulwars.

A good book to begin study on these is "Indian Arms & Armour" by G.N.Pant, Lahore, 1980. While there are numerous points of contention, it gives a good overview to get perspective. Also, "The Indian Sword" by Rawson. These are the basics, and using the search function here you can pretty much fill in the blanks reading threads archived for many years.

It is very difficult to align certain weapons with notable battles or events without exacted provenance, and quite frankly chips or damage to a weapon seldom signifies cause from combat. Often the damage is from far less colorful use or misuse, but I like your way of thinking. The weapons as you see, do tell their stories by our observing the many clues they share.
I will definitely look into those today, thank you for the suggestions. Also that is a thing I love about historical weapons and items, they have a long story that you can learn little parts of by observing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Both swords appear not only genuine but also bear clear marks of being actually used on the battlefield.

However, I am of the oppinion that the engravings were added as a form of "trench art" as they are too crude to be considered to increase the market value of the swords.

Moreover, there might be some talismanic value attached to them.
I was hoping that they might be from combat too, the cuts in the blade are shaped like a blade. It would be really interesting if that's what they are.

Thanks for the replies everyone Does anyone have any idea what date these could be from? I was estimating around 1800 or somewhere around there. Sorry for so many questions but It's very interesting to hear what experienced people have to say about these!
Mikune is offline   Reply With Quote