View Single Post
Old 16th May 2007, 03:06 AM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for showing these hilts Alan. Just for the record i believe the hilts that Marco was referring to and certainly the ones i meant when agreeing with him are the fanciful new models which bear no resemblence to these classic styles of hilt forms. I'll see if i can find some examples to post. I think the Madurese have always been damn good carvers and the quality of that work, at it's best, seems to continue to this day.
I do understand, to a point, your case of the "double-edged sword". I suppose i am looking at this from a more ideal world viewpoint. It just seems right to give credit where credit is due. But i can also see how in this imperfect world that might lead to deception and confusion.
It is not at this point in time much in my personal interest to own a keris based upon the name of it's maker. I would want to own a keris based more on my own impressions of it's style, execution and feel. But i do understand that other collectors have different criteria for what they collect and might be enticed to buy a keris based on false information about it's maker. That would indeed be unfortunate.
David is offline   Reply With Quote