View Single Post
Old 25th November 2006, 05:16 AM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Matt,
The top sword is indeed the Najera sabre, nice work on locating the photo!

Interesting idea about fullering being distinctive to a particular maker. It would seem that in general the forms were very similar in accordance to the technology or popular style at the time. It seems there was always a great deal of innovation and testing being done on swords, ironically much beyond thier being superceded by firearms. There are instances where certain blade forms used key cross section patterns in the work of some makers during certain periods, at least in some research I can recall in studying British cavalry swords, but not with enough consistancy for certainty. I think any variation in the fullers as you mention would be more inclined to deviation in manufacturing process, possibly subcontracted work, as became more often the case in advancing industrialization in centers such as Solingen.

I still think the PDL engraved in script is an interesting anomaly worthy of more research. I am waiting for the Bezdek book myself in hopes there might be something in it concerning that. There is a lot of data published in Germany on the history of Solingen, but without translated material, not very accessible. I know that the journals of the German arms and armour society which go back into the early years of the 20th century have articles on German makers, hopefully the Bezdek book will reference.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote