View Single Post
Old 29th November 2010, 02:58 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Thilo,
Actually ichthys is the Greek word for fish, which is believed to be an acrostic for the phrase 'Jesus Christ Gods Son Savior', and why it was chosen as a secret symbol used by Christians in early Rome.
While it is unclear if it was used during medieval times widely, it is known that the practice of inlaying symbols, phrases and markings did revive in about the 13th century. Since it is known certain other early Christian symbols were used in varying cases as symbols or elements of them, it does seen plausible that this could be the case here.

Obviously, speculating on such things is often seen by many as either specious or 'fanciful', as I have been told on occasion. I feel it is worthwhile to openly observe and discuss such markings to gain as much knowledge as we can regarding the possible meanings.

Very good suggestion on the 'omega' at the base of the lines from the circle, which may of course be viewed symbolically as ecumenical, much as in the case of the orb and cross (globus cruciger). In this case it seems odd to be bisected, but there again, what would that possibly denote?

As the last letter of the Greek alphabet, the omega is often is perceived as 'the end'.

The V shape as the base of the cross is the forked shape seen on the arms of the crux fourchette, an equal armed cross as the Greek cross, and I believe used in medieval times.

Thank you for being willing to offer these well placed suggestions regarding the markings, and for adding the interesting explanation on the inlay technology.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote