Thread: Elephant Sword
View Single Post
Old 25th February 2008, 02:42 AM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Hi Jim,

Interesting coincidence: while reading your last posting, I was listening to an extended interview with an elephant researcher on National Public Radio. The main thrust of the interview was about the discovery of infrasonic communications and complex social structure in elephants (which, in addition to being huge, are also quite intelligent,very social, and have very good memories). They also mentioned current problems in Africa, where the decimation of herds has led to lone, young male elephants that deliberately attack villages nearby. Apparently these "rogues" have lost most of their family and are lashing out at humans, perhaps in revenge, perhaps because the elders who would have taught and disciplined them are gone.

I'm not going on an animal rights kick, but in light of what we now know about them, I'm really starting to wonder about the wisdom of giving elephants weapons and taking them into war. The problem is, you've got to live with the veteran elephants afterwards, and elephants can be traumatized by violence, as much as soldiers can.

This might explain why elephant swords and similar weapons are so rare. As I found out, it's easier to contemplate them as rare artifacts when you're not listening to what violence does to elephants.

My 0.02 cents,

F
Very key perspective Fearn, and it is very true, it is not commonly known that the elephant is an entirely amazing animal, extremely sensitive and they indeed have ways of communicating far beyond human understanding. I too have followed this topic for some time, and there was a wonderful book written on this, I wish I had the title. Violence and combat indeed have deeply traumatic effect on both animals and humans, as I do know personally.
It is the unfortunate nature of our field of study that the weapons have a inherently dark purpose, and I prefer to focus on them as objectively as possible, as historic artifacts that are often imbued with symbolism and traditions of thier cultures.

I think your point about giving these tremendously powerful animals weapons is well placed, and I have to believe that in many cases, the forces who did this likely deeply regretted it.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote