Thread: Elephant Sword
View Single Post
Old 24th February 2008, 04:40 PM   #16
Andrew

I, of course, agree with Mark's assessment of this weapon. Several similar swords have appeared on the market in recent years. The first was obtained by a member here and brought to Timonium a few years ago where we handled and discussed it. That example was rather fine with nice silver koft and an ivory handle.

I, too, doubt these are elephant swords. Rather, they are likely ceremonial, decorative or "bearing" swords. The plate the seller used is the only such example I have ever seen showing an elephant holding a sword in its trunk. As Mark noted, it is a fantastical scene and you can see other animorphic characters holding weapons. Frankly, the thought of an elephant wielding a gigantic sword is such a terrifying vision that, if it were accurate, I would expect we'd see it depicted in art much more frequently.

With regard to editorial comments about a seller, well, I see no problem if one simply reports accurate facts. The reader is free to draw whatever conclusion they like. This Website, and the Staff, are not responsible for the posts of any member: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote