View Single Post
Old 28th May 2021, 04:20 PM   #1
midelburgo

Default Dilemma on a bilbo

I am just the winner in an online auction for a Spanish 1728 cavalry officer sword.
There was something strange at some points. Too perfect workmanship and an unusual blade model, marked X EN TOLEDO X. The sword has surface black spots, but no pitting. Price was slightly on the cheap.

I started looking through the picture collection until I found an identical one in pristine condition, sold 6 years ago. They seemed like the same sword, but in the older pictures it seemed newer, too incredible new, actually. The weathering on the auction sword maybe it is not 200 years old but it is consistent and not recent.

And then I found it. In 1910, The Toledo factory made a copy of the 1728 model that can be found at that year catalogue (number 83).
https://www.toledo.es/toledo-siempre...te-hacia-1920/

I am not sure what to do. Honour my bid or tell the auction house they are selling a replica as the real stuff.

The 1910 copy is extremely rare. And the workmanship the Factory put in these swords was amazing, nothing comparable to the usual Toledo wallhangers.

As I collect both, 1728s and Toledo factory products, the thing would not be out of place, actually. I already have another similar to number 86, but this one is marked as from the Toledo Factory and dated 1881. I have another, number 97, that is also properly marked with the factory stamp after 1943. But it seems those from 1910 can be deceiving, or the stamps have been erased.

I will hang the pictures of the sword when I have decided. I understand replicas shall not be the proper subject of the forum and I have not problem if this is moved.
Attached Images

Last edited by midelburgo; 28th May 2021 at 04:46 PM.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote