View Single Post
Old 12th May 2015, 11:14 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Norman, in reviewing this you make some good points, and I am inclined to think you may be right on 17th c attribution here. The position of the anchor as you note, as well as the style of the fuller with the profiling along each side of the blade remind me of blades I have seen of Alonso Perez. This maker of Toledo also used a similar type anchor device.
What is interesting is that one of the Perez blades was on a rapier found on the well known galleon wreck , the Atocha, which sank in 1622.

What Fernando said is also correct, the punzone used by Tomas Ayala , the crowned ST would have been at the ricasso if indeed his work. Also I am unclear on why it would be Tomas DE Aiala and not TOMAS AIALA.
As noted he was around until the time of the Perez blades, so it certainly seems plausible it could actually be the general period.....the only concerns for me would be the nature of the tang/blade which does not correspond to the blades of period rapiers if I am correct.

Next I would ask what sort of provenance might have this blade without hilt. I have seen of course, many instances of unmounted blades, notably with JESUS MARIA as previously noted from a wreck (I think there were about 40 of them). These were apparently Solingen made and probably latter 17th c. and the punzones were not Ayala. These also had the same style tang as this one.

The 'disconnect' in the 'anchor' I think possibly due to these style markings (we call them anchors, but they are stylized sigils in my opinion) seeming to have peculiarities which reflect highly nuanced symbolism.

As far as finding a hilt, it seems some of the large auction houses sometimes have 'parts' sections in their offerings (at least Wallis & Wallis used to). It would be extremely difficult to find a displaced hilt, especially of period and style to suit this blade. For me personally I think I would hold to what it is....the JESUS MARIA blade I have has always remained unmounted.
I once had a great 17th century tulwar blade but mounted on a more modern hilt..........it finally got to me and I let it go.
Just my thinking.

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 12th May 2015 at 11:27 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote