View Single Post
Old 24th April 2014, 08:46 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think it is important to remember that misspellings and variations in marks etc. can have many explanations. Many 'masters' had ever expanding workshops in order to meet the demand for their products as their prowess and renown became widely known . This kind of thing accounts for many of the wildly varied and sometimes almost indiscernible 'running wolf' marks. These were often added by various workers and apprentices in shops. It is much the same with spellings, many workers were of course not literate and made these kinds of errors in transcribing markings of names or inscriptions.

It is often the case that misspelling and improper usage often point to Solingen interpretations, which is what led me to that assumption originally .
I think the main thing is that the conception of having a 'signed' blade is pretty hard to prove considering the volume of swords produced in many workshops; the use of spurious marks and signatures by other makers using them as quality signatures etc
Case in point 'ANDREA FERARA', Allegedly this 16th century Belluno maker actually existed, but there are many legends and misperceptions, compounded by the fact that he could not himself have produced blades in several countries over 250 years!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote