Thread: My new keris
View Single Post
Old 11th March 2009, 06:32 PM   #20
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Sajen,

I'm glad that the blade came out as nice as expected!

Since the Minang Kabau were politically and economically well connected with Palembang / eastern Sumatra, pieces from area do pop up on the other side of the Sumatran mountain range.

I agree that we might be looking at mixed influences here:
This hilt does look Minang although most molar hilts seem to come from eastern Sumatra. The pendok type seems to show up all over Sumatra - I'm not sure this can be positively attributed to the MK.

The cross-piece does seem to be Palembang to me though (judging from the carving flow; while there's a lot of variety in shapes I also haven't seen a well-provenanced Minang cross-piece with rudder).

The blade seems more likely East Sumatran to me: bold pamor, shape, tiny greneng, and gonjo iras.

If I had to guess, I'd posit that this keris originated in Palembang and got partially refitted by a Minang owner later on.

Regards,
Kai
Hello Kai,

you might be right that that we can see by this keris a mixed influence from two regions of Sumatra. The blade and also the wrangka shows definitely Palembang influence but I think that the pendok shows Minang character. I think that the two "horns" at the end are signs of Minagkabau influence. Also the design on the pendok is seen in Minang erea. For comparison two pictures from a Minangkabau house and the door of the same house.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote