View Single Post
Old 31st October 2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Fernando, there are few authorities on European military swords, particularly French, with the expertise of Jean Binck. He has written many outstanding articles on them over many years, and I have always been most impressed by his willingness to offer help with the many queries he must get.

I also agree this hilt would be the M1822 French hilt, which saw service for the better part of the 19th century, and became the model for the famed U.S. cavalry M1840 ('the old wristbreaker').

What is the anomaly is this dramatically curved (fully parabolic) blade, and the colorful reference to the Mamluks, who of course did use curved sabres that influenced French, British and American military swords, however typically in the hilt, not particularly the blade.
It is worthy of note that the early years of the 19th century reflected considerable controversy, debate and innovation concerning weapons technology with sword blades. The British had established thier first official regulation sword patterns with the light cavalry M1796 sabre, derived from European hussar forms with stirrup hilt. In establishing the most suitable blade form, other blade forms with yelman were considered as seen on some tulwars and Turkish kilij, as well as the highly curved parabolic shamshir type blades, and Hungarian sabre blades.

I have seen British cavalry sabres with equally parabolic blades as this French example that date about 1800, and with pipeback blade. The well known Mamluk sabre of this period is known for the curved blade which required cut out at back of scabbard to allow the sword to be withdrawn.

In the United States, the Virginia Manufactory of Arms, from 1808-1820, produced its First and Second model cavalry sabres with extremely curved blades like this that were incredibly long. These were still on hand at the outbreak of the Civil War, and Confederate cavalry 'reduced' ! the blades to 35" length for manageability.

This French sword is clearly an anomaly, and would not appear in reference books regularly available as it may have been either a prototype or a custom order by an officer. If the date is correct as 1846, the Manufacture de Chatellerault was effectively commercial enterprise, and may well have entertained such orders.

In any case, this is a most unusual example of a French cavalry sabre, M1822, which clearly does exist, and reflects the profound influence of Oriental weaponry in the French military. They did adopt colorful units of Mamluk and Zouave type, and perhaps this sabre might have been to an officer of one of them.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote