View Single Post
Old 20th June 2015, 07:16 AM   #29
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks for the additional information. The sword of Sto Bartolome in the picture you show reminds me of the clipped point bolo that is sometimes referred to as a "Bonifacio." We have discussed this style previously on this forum and perhaps on the old UBB forum. Attached is an example.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Thanks for sharing the info Ian!
The Magdiwang chapter of the Katipunan were all from Noveleta Cavite, and they were the rival group of Aguinaldos Magdalo chapter(located in same Cavite province but in the town of Imus). When the 1896 Revolution broke out, Bonifacio left Manila and entered Cavite where he associated himself more with the Magdiwang group, which was headed by General Mariano Alvarez. Mariano also had a son named Santiago who was also a general. The Alvarezs were in-laws to Emilio Aguinaldo. General Santiago Alvarez was one of the few that kept a diary and detailed accounts about the Katipunan and the revolution, which by many is considered a excellent primary reference. I have General Santiagos book, but he does not give any account of the types of bolos they used. This is the first I am hearing about a wavey style blade with the name Bartolome...particularly with the Magdiwangs being from the Tagalog region, wavy blades were not common I believe.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 2nd October 2017 at 04:22 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote