View Single Post
Old 10th May 2015, 06:34 PM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Jim
Thanks for your input on this Thread. That Ibrahiim was able to identify this mark, with links to the Red Sea region, and add to this Thread is most appreciated. And an unexpected surprise.
Now I need to investigate if any other markings exist on the other Algerian locks in my collection.
Meantime, here is a lock marking from another Algerian musket in my collection. It is a different mark, but in the same location as the first. Maybe someone can identify this one?
Thanks again for any assistance.
Rick.
Hi Rick,
Absolutely, and thank you for continuing the impetus of this thread by seeking other examples along with Corrado. The observations by Ibrahiim indeed reveal there are certain similarities which might give us a better idea of the scope and dynamics of arms trade in these regions.

While my focus has typically been on edged weapons and makers marks and inscriptions mostly European, I have found that often many clues and important details reside with material on firearms. Case in point with Elgood's excellent book on Islamic firearms.....his footnotes are a treasure trove of encyclopedic data!

Often of course various trade entrepots handled all types of arms, and comparing marks on all can many times give us key details.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote