View Single Post
Old 9th April 2005, 04:12 PM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

As for the Philippines, there are still folks that make small knives under their homes in Batangas, but for the quality of the past, say, around the turn of the 20c, well, that is another story. There are still those who make laminated blades in Sulu, but very few and the quality does not compare to that of a century ago. Those in Mindanano are not even laminated from what I have seen, though some of the better gold and silver fittings are of some quality. Again for consumption, although programs in Marawi city associated with the university there offer some support.

Outside of something like what Japan has, these arts die because they are no longer needed. Moros value their machine guns now like their ancestors did swords and bolos. Why use a sword when a gun is more effective? And thus the dilema.

Personally, I guess it may be some folks like me that keep some of the tradition alive. Problem is that although I am part Filipino, I was not born nor raised in the PI and thus am somewhat removed from the cultural roots of the art, even though I am an artist (as well as a minister fulltime) and do what I do in silver, gold, etc. by studying what those artists and craftspeople have done before me. This is one of the reasons I do restorations - I wish to restore some semblence of original dignity to these artifacts, and thus I research the work done from a specific tribe or region to bring back the spirit and elegance to a piece as best as I can. Even then, I am still learning and feel myself humbled when comparing my work with these unsung masters of the past who have been studying their craft for more decades than I.

If those wealthy enough or those in government (often the same thing) could set up competitions and prizes for judging crafts in the PI like in Japan, that might be a better avenue for a poor country like the PI. Unfortunately, outside of what Emelda Marcos did, the country has more problems on its plate than sponsoring craftmenship. Thus I collect, grieve for the past lost, and play my meager part in hopes that something will live on. May Bahala forgive us for our squandering of human resources and living treasures.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote