View Single Post
Old 25th July 2011, 05:54 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Hi Jim,

Though this is not my main field of expertise, I would surmise that the beautiful Scottish Claymores had much the same purpose as their continental alikes.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=claymore

As to the notably heavy weight of these early two hand swords we should remember that the Doppelsöldner Landsknechts who wielded them had extensive exercise in effectively managing those monsters that surprise us with their weight today. And they accordingly received double pay.

Best,
Michael

Thank you so much Michael for the replies, and indeed it seems these guys had to get some serious practice to use these huge swords. According to studies by John Clements, these were not as heavy as often thought though. In a compilation of notes on some 69 of the two handers in Graz, they ranged in weight from about 3 lbs (the lightest) to around between 5-7 lbs. with the heaviest about 13 lbs. Most of that weight seem to have been as noted, bearing or processional swords.
While largely obsolete by end of the 16th century, it seems the Scots did carry them in some degree through the 17th, with even some reports of them as late as Culloden (1746). We know of course that like the landsknechts, the Scots were mercenaries, and brought numbers of these back from their campaigns on the Continent.

Clements notes there are no real recorded guides to the actual method of use of these in combat, but for the references to using them among pike squares and to disable halberds and other polearms. I would suspect that with the Scots these may have been useful in clearing openings in melee in a sense, and these would literally mow down opponents en masse. The English termed them 'slaughter swords'.

I couldnt resist an illustration of a MacDougall clansman with one nearly as big as him. Aye, hoist a Drambuie!!!

All the best,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote