View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These huge and extremely formidable looking swords have always intrigued me, especially as to why they had the undulating blades, and if they were ever really used in combat. Most references I have seen make note of the misnomer 'flamberge' which seems to apply to the name of the sword of one of Charlemagnes paladins in those romantic epics of chivalry Renaud de Montauban.
Victorian interpretations often added the allusion of the Biblical accounts of the flaming sword guarding paradise, and these may be associated with descriptions of the Tylers sword in Freemasonry. It is often argued that the correct term is 'flammard' or 'flambard', but it seems the terms are so close that the variation is not particularly relevant, and the commonly held term emplaced by earlier writers and collectors is sufficient.

Some references note that these swords with 'flamboyant edge' were used only for state ceremonies, used by Dukes of Burgundy and in England until the time of William III (1689-1702). Other accounts claim that these were used early on by landsknechts and most often by most skilled swordsmen, doppelsoldner's, within the pike squares to guard important figures.

I am unclear on the parrying hooks (flukes) seen on these huge swords, and whether the undulating edges of the blade were really effective at cutting if these were indeed used in combat. It would seem incredibly difficult to manuever a weapon of this heft in parrying, and would like to hear more on the actual use of these huge swords.

Wonderful post Michael, thank you!!! I really look forward to more on these.

All the best,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote