View Single Post
Old 13th February 2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Jim,

Of course you are right about the style of blade decoration and your reference to Landsknechts garish costumes, my friend! I just could not seem to find the right expression and chose the wrong word. As to the possible magic meaning behind the decoration, my friend who is the owner of the sabre and has excellent erpertise in early edged weapons told me so. I must admit that I never reflected it.

Several stylistic elements, like the serpent pattern and the dotted geometrical lines, can be found on contemporary iron work as well as on harquebus barrels. E.g., for stylistc comparison I attach a few details of similar patterns on barrels of matchlock harquebuses, hoping that that will convey some addidtional impression.

In fact, this saber should not actually be referred to as a Katzbalger. There is seemingly no distinguishing English word for this kind of saber other than Landsknecht sword, which is commonly used to describe a Katzbalger. A Katzbalger, however, is defined by the characteristic pretzel shaped quillons. Pics of actual Katzbalgers attached.

All the best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote