View Single Post
Old 9th October 2007, 05:06 AM   #14
DaveA

Lightbulb Thank you for your thoughtful posts

yuanzhumin,

Your comments have been very helpful.

The silver pheasant is one of the symbols used in Mandarin squares (textile emblem on "official" dress) to denote an administrator of the 5th rank.

An idea: perhaps instead of the pheasant we have a phoenix (fenghuang), the yin equivalent of the dragon. Symbolizing peace and joy, it was commonly used as the mark of an empress in imperial China. (China's Cultural Heritage: The Qing Dynasty, 1644-1912 By Richard J. Smith)

I have not been able to find a Qing-era symbol for a pheasant or phoenix that resembles the one on this device.

However, I have found two pictures, one from aQing dynasty artifact and another from an antique which strongly resemble two symbols on the brass device; the bat and the deer.

This bat is detail from a Qing formal court robe:

This deer is from an antique jade pendant, possibly from China. (The identical figure also appears in a court robe but I neglected to copy that picture and now I'm having trouble finding the link.)

I think the bat and either the pheasant or phoenix reinforce the notion that this weapon played some role in the formal court or Qing administration.

Just some late night thoughts. I'm no expert, but I can Google with the best of 'em!

Regards,

Dave A.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote