View Single Post
Old 12th June 2006, 04:23 AM   #9
Rivkin

In XIXth century these weapons used to be found as far south as Egypt; these ones are of what I would define iranian-influenced type. Most of them are of a relatively mediocre quality and vintage/newly made. They do not have signatures, koftgari or anything like this. Most of kindjals: have 2 rivets, hilt with relatively long handle, relatively small base and "arc-like" head. Rivets are usually quite simple and round. The blade has a single, sometimes slighly off-centered fuller, the blade is straight and relatively long (19++ inches), rapidly tapes at the end.

From extremely uniform look of this type I would assume there is probably some kind of metal shop in Karbala or Iran which produces them. They regularly come up in ebay, usually mislcassified as caucasian or georgian.
On the other hand, one regularly finds something of similar iranian type, with no koftgari, but with a much better hilt/structure suggesting older manufacture.

Again, on traditional, XIXth century iranian works one can usually find an extensive koftgari made with a copper or whitish wire, often including farsi signatures.

P.S. I checked other news agencies (above - copyright Corbis, below - Getty images). Indeed, attached is a picture of pre-Ashura kindjal sellers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rivkin; 12th June 2006 at 04:40 AM.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote