View Single Post
Old 24th July 2016, 04:29 AM   #30
kai

Hello Ibrahiim,

Quote:
It would seem logical in considering the bolstered throat arrangement that hurtling along at great speed on horseback some danger to the rider would be encountered on drawing or placing the sword back in the scabbard...to the hand and fingers. It may be why the design of the Tunkou appears on daggers...in Koftgari only (not the full Tunkou form) since the Warrior would almost never draw a dagger on horseback ... but would certainly draw the sword pictured above. Actually when imagining the draw; it is the thumb which assists the backblade out of the scabbard and of course the hand.
I don't see how this would assist the draw. (BTW, the thumb or rather the whole hand would be in a glove, at least in war time.)

Short of very unfavourable circumstances, one would expect the blade to be cleaned before it being returned into the scabbard...

Quote:
Secondly and I favour this;...the sword would fit much more tightly in the scabbard with this bolstering ...Thus the Tunkou as noted earlier has a dual purpose.
This seems to be more of an issue of workmanship (regarding the scabbard) to me. The vast majority of cavalry swords never had this feature (or functionally similar ones).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote