View Single Post
Old 21st December 2023, 03:44 PM   #20
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
The blade looks good after your cleaning. And the uwer (mendak is the Javanese term) looks very nice, I guess that it is from silver.
But like others have said, I would look to give the blade a better handle and an other scabbard, I think the tip from Milandro is a good one.

Regards,
Detlef
I agree with Detlef. Your clean-up looks pretty good. And that uwer is a nice one now that you cleaned it up. It does appear to be silver. The stones might actually be low-grade rubies, but even if they are glass it still looks like an old quality uwer.
You could take exacting measurements and trace the blade from all angles on paper and hopefully find someone in Bali to make you a new sarung if you are really keen on changing out this dress. You would undoubtedly need to do final adjustments if you did, so i would ask that they send it to you before attaching the gander.
As for warangan, you might have some difficulty finding someone who can do a good Balinese warangan job. This keris still seems to retain some of it's old Balinese stain. I might choose to simply preserve it as is considering this.
As for abrasives, i wouldn't worry too much about doing any damage with 1000 git paper or 0000 steel wool.
Looking at the cleaned up blade i would say that it is of a fairly decent quality. Competent, but not what could be considered high end. In other words, i wouldn't spend more money than the blade is worth redressing it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote