View Single Post
Old 4th June 2017, 05:55 PM   #8
Philip

What you see in that video is a collection of old Japanese KNIVES formerly used for divers household tasks like splitting kindling-wood, and now still popular among gardeners. Note the last one shown, it has a projecting stud at the end of the blade that keeps the edge from getting dented if you are splitting wood on a stone or brick surface. I am familiar with Japanese carpentry, from watching many of its traditional tools and methods still used by house carpenters during my boyhood in Hawaii. These knives were not part of their tool kit.

Some of these same type knives are imported into the US by specialty tool companies, as I noted, the target buyers nowadays are home gardeners. They are distinct by their construction and shape from the AXES that you refer to. And even in the realm of axes and hatchets, most cultures have a wide range of designs for various applications, and only a few specialized types are specifically made for use by carpenters. The study of tools is as complex (and fascinating) a subject as research into weapons.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote