View Single Post
Old 11th April 2017, 11:39 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
You are absolutely right, Fernando. It should have read Italian instead of French. The sword can hardly be from Damascus as it would then have the Arabic word for the city written on it. And the blade doesn't appear to be Damascus steel. So perhaps the maker wanted to impart that the sword purports to be in Damascus exotic "style"? Which is what I think Jim was informing us earlier.

Thank you Victrix!!
Indeed that was my impression, and good work in removing the hilt, which of course was as indicated, not original to this blade. These marks often on the tang are often not seen as few wish to dismantle the weapon and compromise its integrity as homogenous with that aspect.

When you mentioned squirrel, my first thoughts were the Eickhorns of course, but this animal does not seem to have the plumed tail (it may be gone from the cartouche). The book by Staffan Kinman is by the way, an outstanding reference which compiles data from the other well known compendiums very comprehensively.

Still there some other sources, need to look further. There is no doubt this is an 18th century blade, and as noted, a distinctive 'pandour' style point with the 'magic' decorative motif of the time.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote