View Single Post
Old 28th August 2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Croccifixio

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I wouldn't argue with any of Roland's advice necessarily. I would certainly do all i could to remove the rust.
It's nice to see good lamination on what i assume is a later era kris. I would need closer examination, but your gangya does not seem to be a separate piece. A line has bee incised in the blade where that separation would have been.
The sheath is a nice example of this form. Also a later type. Looks like most if not all of the M.O.P. is intact. And i suppose the other material is tortoise shell? Nicely done.
Yes I agree that this seems to be a late era (post 50s) kris that was made in homage of its older brethren. The scabbard mouth is indeed covered by a piece of tortoise shell. The middle ridge along its length is prominent. The other side of the mouth and along it is plated aluminum. Mang Ven theorized this was scavenged off a crashed airplane. I also checked the gangya and it's not separate, since the incision trails off right at the end on one side. The blade is still wonderful - well polished, smooth, and clearly laminated. It has a single nick which might or might not mean usage, and it's quite sharp. Light doesn't reflect along the edge.

Thanks for all the advice. There's another Sulu kris which looks to be much older that I might purchase. I'm still vacillating between that kris and a barong, or even a kampilan (though I'm not the biggest fan of Maranao/Maguindanao weapons). I do have to sell most of my repros though.
Croccifixio is offline   Reply With Quote