Thread: Kukri
View Single Post
Old 6th January 2016, 01:32 PM   #13
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcjgscott
Some nice pieces there kronckew,

The bottom kukri in the first picture is very interesting, does the tang run the full length and width of the blade?

I remember the one in the bottom picture very well, a lovely old piece. I don't get jealous of much any more, but that one does make me a little green!

All the best,

Chris
if you mean the 1st photo of a single salyan khuk with the decorated hanshee blade, the substantially wide tang runs the full length and is peened over a keeper on the pommel. they also are usually bedded in hot laha prior to peening it is not a chiruwa style full width tang with riveted on scales.

the bottom one in the group photo of 4 is indeed a chiruwa grip with steel riveted scales. the end of the tang also has two small stubs that go thru the steel pommel and peened. with the curve, it fits the hand perfectly. the blade is slightly hollowed down the centre to within about a half inch from the edge.

the 2nd from the top with the narrower blade and closed kaudi (cho) has a full length wide hidden tang with the end spilt into three 'branches, each peened over a small keeper on the but plate. the others are chiruwa, top has two fullers, it's an officer's model.

most older ones have a stub tang that does not go full length an is retained by burning into the grip to provide a tight fit and then using himalayan epoxy (laha, or a thermal cutler cement made from tree resin, dung, yak hair etc.) a rather smelly mix. nepalis figure a stub tang will last 20 years before needing replacement after heavy daily use. a full hidden and peened tang may last thirty, and a chiuwa one a few lifetimes.

Last edited by kronckew; 6th January 2016 at 01:53 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote