View Single Post
Old 24th August 2021, 01:35 AM   #16
tscheidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hudson View Post
iN ADDITION THE PLATE SEEMS TO BE INSCRIBED IN CAPITAL LETTERS ...JOSEF EBERT...???

Regards, Peter Hudson.

I think you are trying to read too much into some aspects of the gun, the early engravers were very creative but their goal was to decorate not record historical events particularly although that did occasionally happen on guns dedicated to an individual for heroism. Many of the old guns had markings which are now of no known meaning. Knowing that it was made by Joseph Ebert of Prag, Checkoslavakia in the first half of the 18th Century is more than we can come up with in may instances.

I have attached a scann of the Eberts in the Heer's Der Neue Stockel so you can see that there were quite a few Eberts spread all over Europe and these are the recorded ones so it was a somewhat prolific gunmaking family

This is from the guy who had the site dedicated to the Ebert's line of gun makers.

Still leaves me with more questions than answers. Who's initials? There has to be a reason for the initials. As well as 2 people tied to a pole doesn't feel like artistic expression.
Attached Images

tscheidt is offline   Reply With Quote