View Single Post
Old 4th February 2008, 12:44 AM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Tim,
Thank you for elaborating in more detail on the swords and weapons of these regions, and for your well placed line of thinking. It is interesting that it is often considered that the familiar 'thuluth' script seen on weapons is a distinct indicator that the weapon is Sudanese. As can clearly be seen, the takouba shown as from the regalia of the Daura emirate in Nigeria is profusely etched with this script. It is unclear if the blade is one of the countless trade blades that have been mounted in these swords, or if it is native forged, but it does seem quite possible to have been decorated in Nigeria.

The thuluth script is of course derived from Kufic, the early script used to transcribe passages from the Qur'an, and was often used to apply such inscriptions as motif on many items of material culture. The Sudan and Nigeria were key regions of Islamic presence in North Africa and the use of this very beautiful calligraphy was in use from early times with Mamluk armourers, and thier decorative work certainly imitated in varying degree.

I agree that it seems almost preposterous to presume that with the importance of the Emirates of Nigeria, and the constant trade across the Sahara, that these more remote places did not have the presence of culture and artisans comparable to the larger and more well known centers. It is now well established that Timbuktu, often jokingly used to describe the most remote desert emptiness, was actually a well travelled site for caravans and actually an almost 'Oxford' like center for Islamic scholars. There are huge libraries of lexicons of important works held there, and the city often portrayed as a mud daubed spot in the desert is now regarded as having been a very important center of medieval scholarship.

Along with the constant movement of the caravans moved not only trade and wares, but scholars, artisans and the diffusion of art, and philosophy.

In "Nigerian Panoply", I believe there is another sword shown by Bivar, which has a name beginning with a 'G', and like the one shown here, is considered an important item of regalia. I'm running on memory here as I do not have by copy at hand, so I hope you might check this. It seems like the sword I refer to appears to be a European hanger or sabre, but as noted, is highly revered as a 'sword of state' or of that stature.

It would seem that the sword, as a weapon, was reverently regarded in Nigeria and in the case of the Hausa state of Zaria for example, the name derives from a famous sword named 'Zazzau'. These Hausa people (though the Fulani conquered in 1804) are called 'Zage Zage'.I am under the impression that the Hausas had swordsmiths, and if I am not mistaken are known among Tuareg swordsmiths, with certain examples of Sudanese kaskara attributed to the Hausa (see Briggs). The city of Kano was known for its ironwork as early as the 7th century.

It does indeed seem quite possible that weapons were made in Kano.

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 4th February 2008 at 12:55 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote