View Single Post
Old 4th October 2013, 08:41 PM   #11
archer

Default reply

Stu, the odd area on the back of the hilt and it's different coloration, along with not being able to see any of the machined look of natural ivory left me thinking Walrus. The remnants of glue and outline indentation had me thinking a lamination or major repair. At a third look metal is roughly cut and not at all consistent with the rest of the metal work. Great observations Stu and Ibrahiim. That's a relief!

Lotfy, Sorry, the lack bidding until the last few seconds and the most crucial photos being out of focus left me second guessing the wisdom
of bidding. I noticed you had recently sold a Khanjar in ivory are they fairly common?

Ibrahiim, Alerted by your photos on the new synthetic materials and that this khanjar was purchased about the same era as dated photos of other pinned faux "Ivory" hilts on the net. I had pause to rethink. You have mentioned pinned daggers having a totally different feel. The extra materials weight makes it feel sturdy and functional. I guess questions about which came first will always be with us.

Vandoo Interesting about the ivory origins and the pink tint.

A link to Schreger lines mention by Ric http://asianartmall.com/schreger-lines.htm

Iain The blade may be newer lots of glue present and some tip damage.

Thank you all for your interest and helping Me get it right. Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote