View Single Post
Old 5th September 2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default No expert but

G'day Lew,

Glad you liked it, I was quite taken by it too. I think you are correct in the antler attribution, it certainly has the colour more so than bone and there is a slight rough surface present in one spot too, this could well be where it was ground back but not too far to keep a proper shape.

My money is on older than WWI, the item came from a collection with all older swords and Afghan knives that were circa 1790s-1850s. I do not know if this piece is as old as 1850 but it is as kronckew notes, the indicator of laminated steel is present and I know from giving this piece a little attention it is laminated and I think from memory with a etch, differential steels will show but with no clear pattern. It is a good and very sharp fighter with a good forward heavy weight and in great condition overall. One plus would have to be that it was once a tool kit example that are quite sought after and I think if you talk with Himalayan Imports, you might be able to source a full antler handled set of tools.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote