View Single Post
Old 1st January 2017, 12:17 AM   #3
F. de Luzon

Smile

Thank you David! I spent many hours reading about the Moro kris on the internet and primarily in this forum. I learned from the "triumphs," mistakes, and most specially, the insights of members of this group. In light of your positive comment, I am proud to say that I was educated on the vikingsword.com Ethnographic Weapons Forum! :-)

I know that the examples in my collection are not perfect but these are the best that I could find. What follows is a description of each blade.

#1 The first one is a heavy laminated half wavy blade with a separate gangya, single brass stirrup, jungayan hilt and ivory kakatua pommel. The scabbard is made of wood with three bands of white brass. The blade shows signs of decorative/talismanic etching which has seriously deteriorated (almost completely erased) due to rust and pitting.

#2 The second is a straight blade (not etched) kris with a separate gangya, single stirrup, corded hilt with a silver end ring and kakatua pommel. The scabbard is made of wood with three bands of white brass decorated with okir.

#3 The third is a 13 luk laminated blade with separate gangya, two brass stirrups, a silver hilt and banati wood octagonal horse hoof pommel. On the scabbard: the wrangka is inlaid tortoise shell, the middle section wrapped with vine (nito vine?) and the buntut is also inlaid tortoise shell.

#4 The fourth is a 17 luk laminated kris with separate gangya and brass stirrups. The hilt is corded and the kakatua pommel is possibly made of rhinoceros horn (according to the ebay dealer and yet to be verified).

Happy New Year!

F. de Luzon

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 1st January 2017 at 03:00 PM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote