View Single Post
Old 12th February 2019, 05:41 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am always curious when I see the term 'damascus' describing a blade. In my very limited understanding of metallurgy, my impression is that the term has been loosely applied to various forms of 'watered steel' and was gauged by carbonization degree in forging. The effects gave various rippled effects resembling water and this steel was produced in India and Sri Lanka (termed wootz).
As far as I have known, this process of steel making was not known in Europe though some forms of design in the blade resulted from pattern welding. I think Russia later formed a simulated 'damascus' termed 'bulat'.

The thing is that the blade on this example displays what appear to be acid etched motifs (often seen on officers swords of course) . I don't believe that the designs or effects of 'watered steel' would be covered over with acid etched motif.....at least that would be my impression.

The Austro-Hungarian blades from cavalry sabres were among the favored types brought into Arabian entrepots and were termed 'Majar' , presumably from Magyar (= the ethnic group in Hungary). With the prolific trade of the Arabs, it would not be hard to imagine these blades, as noted, bundled with others in the routes which connected to Indonesian/Malaysian regions.
These regions are notably populated by those of Muslim Faith, and as such, there was certainly the ever present travel of Pilgrims to Mecca in their Hadj. Typically in these travels these Pilgrims often carried items to trade and sell to pay for their passage. Various weapons have diffused widely in this manner.

As this blade is well worn, it is known that in Bedouin use, blades were often polished and worked, so a 'Majar' that had been in this context for even a relatively short time would have had this motif well worn . I think it is more likely this scenario may have been the case here. While the Dutch indeed used Solingen made blades, this blade has more the character of the Styrian types well known in Austro-Hungary in 18th-19th c. and likely ended up in Bedouin context as a 'Majar'. From there is may have been acquired by a person on Hadj and taken back to Indonesian area, thus the cultural circumstance which Victrix has well noted.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote