View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonmn
Thanks, it was not clear to me (I'm not a sword collector) what the numbers were, you say serial numbers, I was thinking they were museum catalog numbers perhaps put on with white ink, that's how little I know. The serial no. will be rolled or stamped into the metal which is good. You are correct that the important info is the details of the stolen items, frequently missing from the usual media theft report.

I just reposted the info with link on three collector forums and two email lists here in the US as the thief will likely have to go outside UK to sell the hot items.
Hi Cannon,

I assume the numbers are the spine numbers and the collector seems to have researched each one and assigned it to it's original owner.
These spine numbers are deeply stamped into the spine up near the guard. There would be no easy way to grind them out or fill them short of careful electric welding, repolishing/renumbering them over the top. I would think that these numbers will prove too difficult to remove and be the best hope of recovery.

What an amazing collection. I'd be heartbroken to have lost it if it were mine.
Well done for spreading the word. The more people aware the greater the chance of recovery.

Best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote