View Single Post
Old 9th April 2017, 12:00 PM   #3
kai

Hello Athanase,

You got an old Sunda sword. Most of the extant examples seem to originate from the Preanger region (or Priangan/Parahyangan), a highland plateau which was kept fairly isolated by the Dutch since it was the major area for early colonial coffee plantations. At least in this region the name gobang has been used for this sword type.

Quote:
The scabbard is made of wood covered with rattan with strips of brass and 2 coper coins of the VOC (1742 and 1793).

The scabbard seems to have undergone several old modifications: I suppose that originally the rattan covered the entire surface of the scabbard. It was subsequently entirely lacquered (even the coins, the brass bands and the silver handle).
The coins are unusual - certainly a later addition since these scabbards were completely covered with rattan binding originally as you already noted.

If the lacquer dissolves in ethyl alcohol, it is most likely shellac and could be an older attempt to preserve the sword when it fell from use.

Quote:
I think this pedang dates from the first half of the 19th century but I would like to have your opinion on it.
The blade must be a tad older. Please clean it and take close-ups with better lighting; there should be at least one more number visible on both sides near the hilt. This will also help to establish whether this is a genuine VOC blade.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote