View Single Post
Old 7th December 2006, 06:59 AM   #16
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Sure.
Interestingly, many Russian terms related to swords come from Turkish: Yelman, Klych etc. Even the word Mech ( sword, mostly straight sword) is suspiciously similar to the Turkich Mec ( pronounced Mech or Mej) that indicates straight Estoc.
And that doesn't even begin to count other terms, related to the armour... I wonder whether these words came from Turkey proper or reflect the common Mongolian influence on both countries and cultures.

actualy many of these words are common in all the slavic languages,,, and have been so for a long time,
these words have been used well before the turkmen nomads introduced thier language to anatolia,

i think they have a common origin wel back in history, russia and many of the other lands under the control of the mongols have plenty of mongolian words in their languages, arabic, persian,,, chinese and many others,,

but these weponry terms in russin seem to have been in use before the mongol invasion,
i would say these terms were introduced to the slavic language folk before their migration to eastern europe,
most of these terms describe items of weponry that were used by nomadic folk, and mostlikely these items were not used by the seditary slavs,, ..
hence the loan words, .
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote