View Single Post
Old 29th April 2006, 02:40 PM   #12
spiral

I would say kora should be used without wrist flexing in circular downward motions from the shoulder. It wasnt built for fencing.

Thats what I mean by diffence in concept of technique.

Its not the best weapon ever invented, but I wouldnt want to be hit with one by a fatalistic warrier who belives in both fate & reincarnation.

Excelent weapon defending ramparts & the down hill do or die charge as well that were so favoured in Nepal in days of old.

Or for controling the local population, feudal style , I suppose.

But I dont think anyone was saying that more effective sword designs havent been in existance. Its certanly not a sword I would pick to take to battle.

But they are still an intresting part of Nepali history I think.

I like bayonets, my slighty tounge in cheek reference/comment {due to the fact Kora seem to not to have been used much for battle after 186o or so wheras AK 47 came about 100 years later.} was about the AK .47 /AKM seris bayonet which is a tottaly blunt but sure even a blunt blade will penetrate on the end of an 8lb rifle.

But fundemetaly the soviet bayonets for the last 50 years are designed as wire cutters. They do that well. Works for intimidation as well. Would work better ay a bayonet if it was sharp though.

But Give me a 1903 British Bayonet, 1918 Swiss or equivilant any day. Now that is a bayonet.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote