View Single Post
Old 21st February 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Lorenzo,
As Valjhun has noted, this sword has absolutely nothing to do with those sword terms tessak, dusagge and Sinclair and a disassociated assembly of sword terms in this kind of grouping seems a familiar tactic used to head many ebay entries to promote computer hits.
The tessak and dussage were North European heavy short sabres of which many were often labeled with the misnomer 'Sinclair' referring to an ill fated Scottish mission into these regions centuries ago.

In my opinion this sword certainly does seem to be from the period in latter 19th century, and certainly not for combat of course, but as noted of high quality which seems likely to have been made for possibly special use in some type of regalia or pageantry. If it were for diplomatic or presentation occasion there would be inscriptions etc. accordingly. There are even remote possibilities of fraternal issue, but again, should be inscriptions. The scabbard of military style is unusual for something intended commercially in its quality and fittings, and the baldric the baldric mounts seem unusual as well as this was in my opinion intended for wear, and in the Arab fashion.

Good observations Valjhun on the interest in Spanish history and literature generated in the 19th century with this and popularity of other works, and these kinds of items may well have been produced for such consumption, but this seems more for traditional regalia type use in my opinion. One other suggestion I might add is the potential for a theatrical item, and in these times the historically oriented items for such use were actually pretty impressive.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote