View Single Post
Old 21st February 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Valjhun

I don't think so. Yours is a spanish, late 19th century reiterpretation of a classic mudejar style sword, I don't think you can call it that way, as it has nothing to do with with classic european styles that you mention as austrian tessak, british sinclair and french dussage are all types of basket hilted, normaly curved single edged swords that originated in 16th century and in use till end of the 17th century in some cases. There is no connection with your sword and them, neither historically neither artistically. Jim, correct me pls if I'm wrong.

I think that this sword was not made for combat or official use whatsoever. . Rather a nice and high quality item for room decoration or destined to be sold to early, mostly british tourists, vidsting the gorgeous Alhambra fortress in Granada, wich became extreamly popular among british upper classes after the pubblication of the book "Tales from the Alhambra" by Washington Irving in 1832. I can speculate that there would be a high demand for quality items as this one and sword making companies in Toledo started the production to meet the demand and they took it very seriously it seems and produced true works of art as definetly is your sword.

Please take a look here, for a similar item in style http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=Mudejar

So strictly speaking a tourist piece with almost no historic interest, but still a Very nice and desideranle example indeed due to its high quality craftsmanship deriving from the great spanish best swordmaking tradition, wich times back to the moors. A classical back to the roots, i would say.

Last edited by Valjhun; 21st February 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote