View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Congratulations on your latest important acquisition, Nando!

You're sure taking good care of that mecha, I see; nevertheless, may I recommend purchasing a safe and builduing a bank vault around that juwel of twisted hemp, half a millennium years old?

I got about 8 meters of matchcord; o.k., of the rarest and earliest 500 year-old thick kind, I only got about 3.1 meters left. I guess I must have lost a length of it within the last week - still got enough to keep alight for decades to come ...-
They just hang around in my Late Gothic/Early Renaissance sacristy cupboard of ca. 1540, which I bought at a Munich auction house for only 200 DM (100 euro) 17 years ago!

Am I too dewy-eyed?

But then: I got more than 50 big bore guns, after all - plus a 500 year-old real cannon.
So I should trust to be able and defend myself, just in case they some burglars want to rid me of that precious though stinking old stuff that keeps crumbling away
more and more each day, with little pieces coming off, every time I touch it.

It doesn't matter though; that's just the way hemp has been all the time, and there's still a lot of it there.

O.k., I must admit that of the rarest and earliest 500 year-old thick kind, I only got about 3.1 meters left.
I guess I must have lost a length of it within the last week - still got enough to keep alight for decades to come ...

The bottom attachment depicts them when they were up for auction at Sotheby's in December 2004, coming right from Schloss Frondsberg in Styria.

When you come and see me in spring you may get a chance, in a twinkle of an eye, when I'm too drunk from that sweet port you're bringing in big(bore!)) barrels, and fell half asleep, to cut off a length of my (much thinner) 16th-17th matchcord bundles as well ...

The Michael Trömner Collection
is looking forward to welcoming you!

Best wishes as ever,
your friend
Michl

Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 2nd October 2014 at 09:49 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote