Thread: New Sword
View Single Post
Old 10th September 2005, 09:08 PM   #29
Robert
EAAF Staff

Spunjer,
The skull itself has a woven cord that seems to be made of ratan that holds it together as well as forming a loop for carring or hanging it, but that is not what holds it to the scabbard. It is tied to the scabbard by what looks like grass, reed, or some form of leaf fiber. There is no plastic on this anywhere.

Zel,
The hole in the top of the scabbard looks like it was drilled in from the front with the point of a knife. It also has the same type hole in the rear half of the scabbard that is inline with the hole in the front half. I thought this hole was more for hanging on a peg when not being worn than as a way of hanging it for wear as is would interfere with the sword being drawn from the scabbard. I believe the carved area on the front of the scabbard a few inches below the top where a small piece is broken away is where it would have been attached to a rope belt or possibly worn under a sash. I'm thinking that the missing piece might have been tang shaped and extended downwards toward the dome shape you see right above the skull. Then the belt or sash would slip between the dome and the end of the tang and slide upwards under the tang so the scabbard would be safely secured. I am only guessing as I really have no idea on how it was actually worn. My thanks to everyone so far in helping to identify this piece.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 11th September 2005 at 01:51 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote