View Single Post
Old 1st May 2010, 12:46 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Erik.

It appears that you have a copy of the same book of which I have a copy.

In August 1988 I was offered this book for purchase by a person whom I did not know. It was far beyond my means, and I was very uncomfortable with the kraton stamp, it was not something that I would have been brave enough to even think about taking out of Indonesia. However, I did arrange to photograph it and photocopy it.

The introductory page has the same text as the Damartaji publication, which Pak Ganja tells us is the same as the book of which he has a copy, however, the photo that Pak Ganja has supplied appears to be of a different book to the one that I have. Additionally, the Damartaji publication shows all the blades with hilts, the blades in the copy that I photographed does not show the blades with hilts.

I wonder if we are looking at two different books here?

The romanised text in the Damartaji edition can be freely translated as:-

"These keris drawings were made on the order of GKP Harya Hadiwijaya, son of ISKS Pakubuwana X of Surakarta Hadiningrat, by the adbi dalem Sunarya at the Kridawahana office. They were selected from the original book by RT Sastradiningrat, and with some additional forms added." Followed by the date.

When I asked Pak Ganja if he could supply a little additional information I was attempting to confirm if indeed we had two different books.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote