View Single Post
Old 30th October 2014, 08:01 AM   #117
A. G. Maisey

No, I'm not implying I've seen blades attributed to him, I'm stating that I've seen blades attributed to him.

I've also seen the work of several other makers from Bali, as well as the work of most makers from Central Jawa who have worked from the mid-1970's through to the present time, in addition I have seen the work of a great many makers from Madura. I have no documentation of most of these makers. That's not what I do, and frankly, I find it completely unnecessary. However, I have spent several months every year in Jawa and Bali for over 40 years, I've seen a lot of makers working, I know several of them as personal friends, and 30 odd years ago I was taught by a couple of the legendary ones.

What amazes me with this keris you have posted photos of is that Pande Suardika could have created this pamor. It is an extremely complex pamor, the Balinese makers in general are known more for the excellence of their carving, rather than their ability in complex pattern welding, and this pamor is about as complex as it gets. For a pamor like this to come from a foundation of next to nothing is purely incredible. The blades I have seen that were attributed to Pande Suardika were very simple mlumah pamors, not highly complex pamors like this one.

Additionally, Pande Suardika is known for his commitment to the creation of blades with a spiritual content, he is not known for creating blades as a commercial undertaking, but rather for creating blades intended for use as a pusaka. His blades are usually quite heavy, and he has a reputation for very detailed work.

However, if I had been asked who I thought might have made this blade Pande Suardika would not have entered my mind.

This keris is an exceptionally fine piece of current era work, but it stuns me that it was produced by Pande Suardika.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote