View Single Post
Old 16th May 2019, 01:26 PM   #6
drac2k

Thank you both for your responses.
Ariel, I found the article that you recommended to be very informative. What I was able to conclude in regards to the Dashna is the "what came first principle, the chicken or the egg."The Dashnar is stated as being of Persian origin, but it was also used by Khevsurian warriors. It also alludes to the fact that Georgian And Circassian warriors fought in Iran as mercenaries, and may have introduced the weapon to the Persians at that time.
I do not think that the weapon is a true dashna because the text states that the weapon is double-edged and this one isn't(even though it has a false edge on the last 6 inches, which according to the article would have allowed it to be used in the Khevsurian style of fighting). Next, it stated that the Dashnas were usually made from broken swords; based on the fullers and the construction of this weapon, I don't believe it to be the case. Finally, I re-examined the coins with a magnifying glass and found that the image was not an "S," but the tail of a lion and on the opposite side an arm holding a sabre, which would indicate it to be Persian.
In conclusion, you nailed it as being Persian and I think with heavy Khevsurian influences; I will re-read the article again to see what I missed the first time.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote