View Single Post
Old 29th December 2011, 04:58 PM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams,

I'm not sure where you mean however I assume you refer to the coastal belt of Yemen before it becomes Oman?...since between Yemen and Oman does not exist The weapon is not one from Salalah..In the Dhofar region (Salalah and its environs) either an Omani Khanjar is worn or occasionally there is the 7 ring variant khanjar from Saudia ("Habaabi") style or like the one shown below tucked in at the side..
Having said that being a border environment it does not preclude the odd Yemeni person from turning up in Yemeni regalia.

What I mean is that your weapon is Yemeni not Omani...

I agree that trade with India is likely on the coast of Yemen and I know there are a lot of artefacts in the Yemeni Souks from Indian trade influence.. for example the Mandoos or marriage box specific to the Malibari coast of India is a dowry chest most favoured by the Yemeni people..

I am certain that there are loads of old Indian coins in the souks...As a cautionary note the UAE Souks are awash with Indian work and it is not unusual to find workshop production quantities of such fake daggers filtering in through there.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Salaams Ibrahiim, Bad description on my part as I am well aware that Yemen and Oman border eachother. The comment was purely stating that this is not from the Hadhramaut interior, but from the coastal regions. I have not anywhere suggested that this Jambiya came from Oman.
As to the comment about fakes---I do not see what this has to do with the present thread, as this is definately GENUINE.
I do realise that there are those who are turning out modern copies of Jambiya, some very good ones, but these at best are only replicas, and at worst, fakes designed to trap unwary buyers.
Lets get back to the subject in hand
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote