View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:30 PM   #17
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
I searched the word Ingelrii. The Annals of the Coinage of Britain and its Dependencies by Rogers Ruding mentions an Ingelri in a list of moneyers to Aethelred, Rex Anglorum.
Well done! Such a close match with the swords' name is new to me. Following up on this leads to an article on the topic of the many continental moneyers at work in England during the 10th century. INGELRI and other variants are attributed to one or more moneyers named Ingelric:

Quote:
Ingelric
ENGELRI [Edw I HT1], INGERI [Æthst HCT1]
INGELRIES genitive [Edg HR1]
Oxford INGELRI [Æthst CC]
Probably two different moneyers here, as the earlier moneyer is linked to Oxford by a mint-signature; probably the Edward moneyer is the same man, as he strikes late in the reign. He uses Winchester derived dies, which would be normal for Ox-ford. The Edgar moneyer on the other hand uses a Rosette die with M in the field,which indicates Derby die-cutting, and there is no evidence for such dies reaching Oxford. There are no examples for the intervening period.
This is apparently based on coins different than any known by Ruding as Athelred is not mentioned.

http://www.snsbi.org.uk/Nomina_artic...a_32_Smart.pdf
Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote