Thread: Folding Knife
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2009, 01:50 AM   #11
M ELEY

Default Nice piece!

Brian, if you ever want to casually buy any pieces for me, I'll send you my address! A pretty cool piece and one that spans a much broader time period than I first realized.
Jim, as always, I am in awe of your amazing skills. In all of my naval readings, i had not come across that Mel Fisher piece on the fact that these folding knives went to sea. Even Gilkerson, who mentions the blunted knives used to trip the ropes, didn't catch that fact! Makes total sense, though. Undoubtedly, they would have been smuggled aboard on ships of the line, as such a weapon would have been lethal in the hands of a grog-soaked sailor. Also would have undoubtedly seen service on privateers as both a tool and weapon of self-defense. Quite a few of the folders were popular during the American colonial period as well. See Neumann's "Swords & Blades of the American Revolution", plates 33-56K. A number of them were found in French/Indian trading sites. One in particular (plate 39) is similar. They have a wide range, with French, Spanish, English and American examples shown. Brian's piece, possessing the more ethnic qualities of Spanish influence, might have served on a Spanish Man-o-war. Damn it, Jim, now you'll have me looking all over for one of these to add to my maritime collection!!!
It seems from my readings that the Spanish navy was more lenient with their rules concerning what sailors were allowed to carry as personal items compared to the Brits and Americans. Quite interesting!!!

Last edited by M ELEY; 4th May 2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: another comment
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote