Thread: Folding Knife
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Brian,
Thank you for continuing the post the great items you have collected, and giving us the opportunity to discuss them and learn more on them together here. These fascinating knives have always been intriguing to me, especially with my fondness of Spanish edged weapons. While the guys have already added outstanding observations on identifying these navaja, I have spent the morning trying to learn more on thier history, and since I'm the official blowhard around here, I'll share what I've learned so far.
Without a doubt the true expert on these knives here would be Chris Evans, and searching through his posts is a true wealth of information.

Your observation on Arabic influence is well placed, as the Moorish influence in Spain is of course profound, and is seen throughout its culture.

Apparantly the 'navaja' (Latin, novacula = razor) developed in the 15th century in this folding blade/sheath configuration. It was used by barbers, who also doubled as surgeons, and these were often aboard ships. In "Navajas of the Galleons" (Corey Malcolm, 'The Navigator:Newsletter of the Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Society' Vol.21, #4, Jul.2005) it describes the number of these found on the 1622 Spanish "Atocha" wrecksite.
There is apparantly a painting in the Prado in Madrid titled, "The Surgeon" by Jan Sanders van Hemessen c.1555, showing one of these being used in this 'surgical' manner.

Apparantly the concept of these easily concealed weapons was readily adopted by the roughneck sailors who used them adeptly in thier own shipboard version of dispute settling 'surgery'. The use of these in this type of combat spread quickly to land based ruffians as well, and while the more refined duelling with 'etiquette' and swords was confined to the gentry, the navaja became the weapon of the commoner, and the deadly baratero or knife fighter.

I think one of the most fascinating things about Spanish edged weapons is the maginificent romanticization and artistry, thoroughly laced with mystery. The art of fencing in Spain known as 'Destreza' is both puzzling and fascinating with all of its geometric esoterica and symbolism, and while this art served the duellists of Spain's nobility and gentry, there was a singular 'art' in its own sense developed for the navaja.

Until the 19th century, as far as is generally known, this 'art' was not documented as was the fencing techniques of Destreza. In about mid 19th century, the "Manual del Baratero" was published by a mysterious author known only as M.d.R.
For years, this 'manual' was the subject of mistranslations, interpretations and finally effectively translated and reviewed by James Loriega in 2005 ("Manual of the Baratero: The Navaja, the Knife and the Scissors of the Gypsies").

The use of the navaja was well known in France and Spain in the 18th and 19th centuries and one of my favorite cities to visit here in the U.S. has always been New Orleans. Here the fantastic history and cultural influences of these countries remains profoundly preserved, and the sector of the Old Quarter where the French pirate Jean Lafitte 'presided' was appropriately termed 'Barateria'. Here the knife fight reigned supreme in the street, again while the gentry elegantly duelled at the famed 'duelling oaks'.

In looking at the profile with pronounced clipped point on the blade of the navaja, it is easy to see the ancestry of the famed Bowie knife and the brothers who developed it.

Absolutely fascinating knives, and in looking at them, I cannot help fond memories of the substantial 'switchblade' I had in my younger years
There was a distinct 'feel' to the deadly click as the blade locked open.
This is discussed in various references as the profoundly demoralizing and threatening sound comparable to the deep cocking sound of a shotgun. The ratcheting of the 'la carraca' locking mechanism led to the nickname 'carraca' for these knives.

A beautiful example Brian, and yet another example of your discerning taste in compiling a great collection !! Thank you for sharing it!!

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote