View Single Post
Old 20th November 2006, 09:40 AM   #37
VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMStar
It would not be the first time that I am "chalk full of blueberry muffins..."
and I agree that Museums can make mistakes. I also think that since the Spanish has about 400 years to learn about P.I. swords, there maybe something to learn from their experience... especially when verified with other examples.

Check the below link on Parang Naburs and compare the blade profiles below.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...y+parang+nabur

It seems to me that this profile is unique in the Philippines. If it is not a Parang Nabur (and can we prove that it is not related), then... what is it? The Spanish may have got this right, that it is a Philippine version of the Parang Nabur. All of the key ingredients are present (except for the peen).
I think there are lot of differences between the two swords you show (arc of the blade, fuller, motifs on the blade, protrusions on the blade close to the hilt, cup, form of the D-guard, fixing of the tang, construction of the hilt etc.). And I am familiar with the Parang Nabur in the thread you linked to as I have seen all of them "live".
Of course I could post several pictures of examples of these features but that you could all do with a little help from Google.
So I prefer to discuss the origin of, and accuracy, of the classification name "Parang Nabur", as it is known when we discuss these kind of swords on this forum.

Let's go back to the sources first. Where does the name Parang Nabur come from and what actually is it?

Stone: "PARANG NABUR. A Malayan sword also used by the Dyaks. It has a short blade curved towards the point, and widest at the point of the curvature. The hilt is generally of bone and has a guard and finger guard of brass or iron."

OK, let's have a look at the source Stone refers to, Ling Roth II page 135:

"The parang nabur seems to be the only really genuine Sea Dyak weapon. The parang pedang they have copied from the Malays, and the parang ilang is altogether a Kayan weapon, and beyond their powers of imitation. The nabur in ordinary use is a short curved sword with a bone handle. This style of sword is broadest at its point of curvature. It does not curve like a scimitar from the hilt, but is straight for some distance, and takes a sudden curve towards the end, and when the sword is long, as is one in my collection, it becomes top heavy and requires both hands to wield effectually."

Unfortunately there is no picture of this weapon in Ling Roth.
Nowhere is the quite characteristic D-guard, or any hilt guard, mentioned?
Have you ever seen a Parang Nabur that requires "both hands to wield effectually"?
One of the Parang Nabur in my collection is a 114 cm long Parang Nabur (which is 10 cm longer than Willem's Parang Nabur "XL" pictured in van Zonneveld!). This is the longest one I have so far seen or heard about. Still it's balanced so I can swing it with one hand. And there is no room on it for a second hand on the handle. (Of course I could put the other hand on my wrist but I don't think that's what Ling Roth meant with his description.)

Actually I suspect that Ling Roth isn't describing the same kind of sword as Stone assumes he does?
To me it seems like he is describing the, at that time, more common, as well as unique Sea Dayak, sword Niabor (same name and probably same pronounciation)?
A sword that could be handled with two hands at the handle and fits the description of Ling Roth.
Also the Parang Nabur found in f.i. Leiden are collected in the Banjarmasin area, SE Borneo, and the Sea Dayak live in the opposite NW Borneo!

So if Stone's only source was Ling Roth, as quoted, then it's easy to understand why there seems to be a misunderstanding about the South Luzon Bolo?

In the Leiden Borneo catalogues the name Parang Nabur isn't found as a name of these swords. The swords that we on this forum classify as "Parang Nabur" have some of the following local names in the collection notes:
Parang Lais, Sanangkas, Patjat Gantung, Kemudi Singkir, Mandrah and Wawalutan(?).

So if you would walk the streets of Banjarmasin 100 years ago and asked for a Parang Nabur it seems as if no local would even know what you talked about?
And if you would do the same in Kuching maybe somebody would have offered you a Niabor?

But let's keep the name "Parang Nabur" within this discussion as it's well known, probably because of Stone, as a description of this kind of sword.
I also think that Ian has a valid point about giving a sword from South Luzon a name in Malay.

Michael

Last edited by VVV; 20th November 2006 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Wawalutan had a question mark in the Leiden catalogues
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote