View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:29 PM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
... But you can still learn a lot from collecting these things, for instance if you notice elements that are analogous to pieces in collections that do have more or less reliable documentation...
Yes; that happens once in a while. But no so often with these things; most times what you see are commercial sites, and what they announce is so obviously unreliable.

Quote:
...Are their other collectors in Portugal who specialize in these, with whom you are sharing info and insight?...
No, i am alone in this corner of the world.

Quote:
...That multi-barrel "trap" gun is intriguing, and rare to have survived in such condition. Too bad there aren't more images like a side view showing the length and profile of the barrels! And to show us how they were ignited....
All i recall is that this was a small square French style announcement in an illustrated sales catalogue published in the web ... ages ago.

Quote:
... To me, a trap device is something that is triggered by the thing you want to catch/shoot, so it must stand ready to go off after who-knows-how-long a waiting time...
In the classic modern sense, yes; i had them being activated with me around while in the army. But you often see ancient multi barrel devices in museums and surely they had a way (or ways) to ignite them.

Quote:
...However, I can see this thing as being of use as a "volley gun" fired by a defender standing behind the gate as the enemy approaches.
Rainer also mentioned tricks like them blasting under hard stuff, making it fly like projectiles under the enemy.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote